[Chao Mugger front door]
[Quick contents & download]
[More things in heaven and earth]
[Shakespeare in general]
[As You Like It]
Download the ZIPPED Prospero's Isle
HTML text |
Plain vanilla text
Art vs. Nature
- "... the natural man functions like the virtuous shepherd
of normal pastoral, to indicate corruption and degeneracy in the
civilized world; if the natural man is a brute, so much more terrible
is the sin of the nobleman who abases below the natural."
Consider the debate between Art and Nature in the play
Prospero as Ruler
- "In the character of Prospero in The Tempest
Shakespeare presents the ideal ruler: one who reconciles power
over the outer world with power over the self."
How far do you agree?
Prospero vs. Caliban
- "Prospero represents the world of the mind,
Caliban that of the senses." How adequately does
this comment describe the roles of these two characters
in The Tempest?
The Colonial Discourse of Robert Browning's Caliban:
Subversive Articulations or Method of Containment.
[NOT WORKING AT LAST CHECK]
[off Chao Mugger]
- This is more Browning than Shakespeare, but if you're
an 'S' paper type interested in Caliban and colonisation,
consider taking a look.
The Tempest as Masque
- Discuss the elements of Masque present in
The Tempest and the extent to which the play
might be considered to be a Masque.
Apparitions and Stage Spectacle
- Write an essay on the relevance of apparitions
and stage spectacle to the central concerns of The Tempest.
Ideas vs. Dramatic Principle
- "The play is constructed on a framework of ideas
rather than on any dramatic principle. Even the characters
are symbolic." Discuss.
Island of Echoes & Suggestions
- "Prospero's island is full of echoes and
suggestions." Discuss the importance of the environment in
- "At the end of The Tempest reconciliation
and harmony are severely qualified by Shakespeare's awareness
of the imperfections of human nature." How far do you agree?
- Paying close attention to tone & imagery, comment on the
presentation of Prospero and important ideas in the play raised here.
Back to the Chao Mugger front door,
The RJC History Society |
Siew Lian's Literary Decadence |
My other websites.
are always welcome.